Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Martha Who?!?

That Martha lady's got nothin' on us. (Martha, if you're reading this, I didn't mean it. You're the best.) While I was in Utah, My great friend Megan and I threw our friend Katie a bridal shower. Here's Katie below, she's getting married. Isn't she purdy. We've been friends since we were little ones. Well, if I'm being honest, I was never little. I'm 5' 11" and I have been since I was 4. But we were quite young, anyway.

This is Megan. She moved into our neighborhood when she was 6 and we've been great friends ever since. She's Martha Stewart incarnate. I'm telling you, she sews, she cooks, she crafts, she blogs, and she's a mom. She made the decorations for this shin-dig. They were the cutest darnit things ever. The perfect accent.The food, oh, the food. Does anyone recognize a pattern when I post about a party. FOOD FIRST. We wouldn't want to hurt it's feelings. We put Jack to work at the grill. Chicken marinated in italian dressing. I recommend cooking on foil, otherwise you get blackened chicken, which was not what we were going for here. Of course, Jack already knew that because he's the best. EVER. We kept it pretty simple. Chicken, Watermelon, Summer Spinach Salad and Chicken and Grape Pasta Salad. The Summer Spinich Salad was my creation. In an attempt to recreate the Summer Salad from Yard House (have you tried it? Seriously, go there now. Eat it. You'll never be the same.) I came up with this, which is close, but no cigar. It's still pretty good though. It's consists of: Spinach, oranges, avocados, strawberries, sunflower seeds, gorgonzola and the best dressing I can find for it is Gerrard's White Balsamic. Oh, my is it ever tasty. Great, now I'm hungry. I'll be right back.I'm back, thanks for waiting. Here is Meg's pasta salad that I've been sitting by the phone for weeks now, waiting for the recipe. (Just kidding Megs, no rush, you've got a lot going on right now.) It was so good. Spiral pasta, grapes, celery (a sure fire way to my heart), cashews...other stuff? Don't remember, but I do remember that I must eat it again. Soon. Watering hole. (Can you use the word 'hole' on a post about a bridal shower? Seems wrong.) Tracy, Megan's mom, made her famous Lemeon Acid to drink.However, because you can't use the word 'acid' at a bridal shower (or hole) she called it Lemon Ice, just for us. For the non-adventurous types, just some plain ol' water. I love water, drink about 3 liters a day. Spend a lot of time in the ladies room. Ok, now I'm positive you can't talk about THAT in a bridal shower post, I'm just sayin'...Ok, so the food part in my opinions is just a formality in order to get to dessert. Here's the dessert table. We had plenty o' sweets. Chocolate cupcakes, Vanilla Cupcakes, We found the bling for the cupcakes the night before, thanks to Megan and her creativity. I never would have thought to find GIANT diamond rings for the cupcakes. Gook thinkin' Meg. Plus we had a REALLY good time goofing off at the party store with our husbands and children in tow, just like we were 12 again. Except for the husbands and children part...we knew nothing of that when we were 12.I made some cake pops, with the help of one lovely Bikini-clad baking assistant. Could have done it with out her. Thanks Puhmella.Aren't they cute? Who can resist cute food, who? Nobody, that's who.

The decor... was perfect. My Mama had everything perfect on her patio. Her chairs painted, pots planted, pergola built, lawn mowed, tables set up, table clothes made, hurricanes ready. I tell ya, she worked like a slave on my behalf. I really appreciated it too! It was perfect.Her patio really is the perfect place for a sumer evening gathering. Shaded under the big pine trees, creek running through the back, twinkle lights, etc. When I first told her I was throwing a shower, I told her I wanted to do it at a cool, swanky hotel or something. Just to be different. I've been to a lot of punch and cookies type showers (no offense to you punch and cookie types, really) and I really wanted to do something DIFFERENT. This turned out to be THE perfect setting. Thanks to my mama and her out-door genius. And her in-door genius. Ok, she's just a genius all around.Truth be told, she might have been happy to have an excuse to crack the whip on the pergola getting done.I'd say it came out nicely. Good work Jack and Eric, good work. I decided to cross the creek to get the party from a different angle, and zoomed on Megs and told her to smile. (Sorry Megs, I had to put this in here.) If ANYONE can tell me WHAT she's doing, I'd really appreciate it. Wonder Baby isn't quite old enough to stand and urinate like boys do, but I think this is kind of what it looks like. I think. (Sorry, urinate is probably on the list of non-shower approriate words...)Megs, you're at a BRIDAL shower for crying out loud, what are you doing? Maybe a boy is in the works for you on round 2.Here's the across the creek (pronounced KR-EE-K...if anyone of you say KR-ICK, please get out. No, not really, please don't leave, I beg you.) photo. Isn't her yard pretty? Please note Jack in the apron in the way way way back. Remember how I said he's the best. EVER.?!? He just blends into the backgound and does as he's told. Most the time. Love you dad!Out the patio door...We had a good time.I saw OLD friends, and met new friends, and took pictures (sorry it's so dark...havn't edited yet...I was too anxious to get it on the blog), and enjoyed the scenery.I love celebrating marriage, babies, friends, family, really anything. Doesn't hurt that cake is usually involved. It was fun to celebrate Katie. She's so fun to be around and has lots of different friends and a big family. We may have a had a laugh at here expense...sorry girl, but the why-tamins story had to be told. What's that you say? You want to hear the why-tamins story. Readers Digest version: Katie asked a sales clerk at a make-up counter, who had a VERY thick greek accent, who had just described the great-ness of a product because it had so many vitamins (due to the accent, sounded like why-tamins) and minerals..."Oh, what are why-tamins?" Her response: "You know, like why-tamin A, why-tamin B..." I left a solider behind. I had to leave the poor girl standing there all by herself to defend her question because I simply COULD NOT contain my laugher. Oh, that Katie, she's funny.

Sorry for repeating it again. I can't promise it won't happen again in life, I mean we're young. Instead of planning and executing a dumb shower game (again, no offense to those shower-game players, really.) that no one really wanted to play anyway. We started a poem and passed it around for everyone to add a line or two to. Here's Meg's bling. I'm thinking 10 year upgrade?Here's a picture of the cute notebook(s) I found to give out as favors. They were a big hit!Here's the Queen's chair. A place to check out her loot. Er, I mean a place for the delicate bride-to-be to open her gifts of fine China, and serving platters. Ok, who are we kidding, it's loot.She cleaned up. Kate...I expect a batch of fresh baked cookies, and a pot-roast from your new crock pot and dessert from your new dessert dishes and for my hiney not to hurt, because you got cute new chair cushions. I know you have all that stuff now...I know you do!Here's the bride-to-be...and her mom, Judy.Here's Connie Jean, who I had not seen for probably 15 years. Connie Jean is showing off her bling. You go girl.Here's Katie, Connie Jean's daughter, who I also havn't seen for almost as long. She's cute, and funny and single (sorry Katie, I had to do it) for all you single, cute, funny men...Here's Katies friend (insert name here...sorry I can't remember...)And Liz, one of Katies bridesmaids.And Kathleen, Liz's mom...Friend... (Kate...name? I am so bad at this.)And Meagan...she's Levi's (Katie's finance) niece. She introduced the two lovebirds.

Here's Angela and her baby. They didn't get to stay very long, but it was good to see her too.This is Matilda. Her name isn't actually Matilda, I just can't remember it either ( I met so many new peeps that night) so I just thought I'd start making up names for those I don't remember. So, Matilda it is.It was a great time, and I'm so happy we got to do it! That week we did lots of fun wedding stuff... more to come!

So, with that...congrats Katie, can't wait for the wedding!

4 comments:

barlows said...

Sorry, I had to say . . . Hole? Acid? MATILDA!? Girl, you're killing me!

The Wells Family said...

you kill me with laughter! i especially appreciated your comment on being full size since 4 yrs old....couldn't be truer of myself. :)

congrats to katie! through all these great little shindigs through the years, i have met her and adore her!

Meg said...

Geez Mollz...thanks for the great compliments. Although you didn't toot your own horn as much as you should have. Thanks for all your hard work in making everything come together!!! And for the fun times prepping and erranding!

Um...In my defense...that is my "I'm ready and going to snap a photo of anyone that I see fit so ANYONE be ready" POSE. Don't you see the wide stance and the excited face to distract and surprise whomever is next on my photo snappin' list! So BEWARE! I can SNAP {a photo that is} at any minute. {Most definitely NOT my BOY pose...you must be the mother of a little boy!!!}

I think the blonde hair girl is Nicole. The others...yeah, don't remember either.

So excited for Katie. Sure do love her! Can't wait for everything to come to play with the wedding stuff!

Love you Mollz. Thanks for EVERYTHING!

Meg said...

Oh...and the salad...DIVINE.

Also, one more thought. That hint of a 10 year upgrade...HELLO, YES PLEASE! Since Chris only ganders on your blog every once in a blue moon when he isn't busy, will you print that picture and send it to him in the mail...{wink, wink, nudge, nudge}???? That would be GREAT! Loves!