Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rolo Cookies

I vaguely remeber saying something about a problem I had with baking and eating said baked goods. There's one I may or may not have blamed on my sister Susan for letting me flip through her recipes. That may or may not have been my favorite little cookie called The Rolo Cookie. Named for the little surprise you'll find in the middle. They really are delish. My love of The Pioneer Woman led me to attempt a photographic journey through a recipe. I dunno how she does it, with EVERY stinkin' one... it's a lot of work. So, for my one and only recipe I have or will ever take photos of every step, I bestow upon you... THE ROLO COOKIE. First, one cup of softened butter.
Cream that with one cup sugar and one cup brown sugar.Then, photograph your vanilla and eggs. Ok, now add 2t. vanilla and 2 eggs. Then wipe the egg goo off your hands to photo your eggs and vanilla in the butter/sugars mixture.In your favorite yellow Williams-Sonoma melamine mixing bowl combine two and a half cups of flour, and 1t. baking soda and 3/4 cups of cocoa. The cocoa will undoubtedly make a big fat cocoa-y mess EVERYWHERE, and if you have small ceramic tile countertops, it will undoubtedly stick in your light colored grout making your kitchen look like you've never cleaned it. ever. And, this may not turn out very well if you don't have this delightful aformentioned bowl. Sorry.Slowly add the flour mix to the butter/sugar mix and inhale deeply, because you will be inhaling cocoa flavored air. Odd.Mix well. Pause to photograph your one year old pulling every dish cloth and wash rag and napkin you own out of your baby accessible drawers.Locate the bag of Rolo's that a certain Bug-Man may or may not have sampled.Unwrap 'em. ( I recommend refridgerating until use if you live ON the sun like we do.)It may help to refridgerate the dough while you unwrap the Rolo's... makes it a little easier to work with.Scoop some dough.Squash a Rolo into it.Roll the dough so it completely covers the Rolo. Get a bowl of sugar. I once experimented with powdered sugar, didn't work. Must be regular ol' sugar.Roll that dough ball around in the sugar. Arrange on a cookie sheet, and bake at 375 for about 10 minutes, give or take one or two until the tops start to crack.Yust like zees. Mmmmm. I usually leave them on the cookie sheet for a minute or two or five after they come out of the oven, but I got a little anxious today and scooped them up and put them on my new Pampered Chef stackable cooling rack (cool rack eh?) and I ended up with carmel covered countertops. (Don't think for one second I didn't scrape up every last little morsel of countertop carmel and eat it.)Let cool for a bit and enjoy! They're great warm, or the next day or two, but don't last much longer than 2 days. Best to keep them in an airtight container.
Rolo Cookies
1 C sugar
1 C butter
1 C brown sugar
2 1/2 C flour
1 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 C cocoa
48 Rolo candies (give or take)
2 T sugar (for rolling)
Cream Butter and Sugars, add eggs and vanilla, mix completely. In separate bowl, combine flour, soda and cocoa. Slowly mix flour mixture in with butter mixture. Refridgerate. Unwrap Rolo candies, form dough over candy covering it completely. Roll in sugar. Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

The Andersens said...

These look ridiculous! Please don't ever post anything that scrumptious looking ever again!!!!! I hope all is well with you... I miss you guys!

Andrea said...

Oh my gosh those look so freakin' good!!!!! Yes, that will have to be my next treat I make (in like 5 minutes - the boys are still asleep, think I could get them done before they wake up?). Love the post and yeah, how did we not take any pictures the other day? I'm sure I even had my camara on me, I always do.

Candace said...

THESE ARE FREAKING GOOD!!! I have the recipe and make them for all occasions. Delicious! However, I've never rolled mine in sugar. I will have to try that next time.

@DPMarketing said...

Oh geez. Did ya have to post this????

anjer said...

oh my gosh!! were they incredible? when i grow up i want to be just like you mollie.

anjer said...

ps. i was just thinking that i should attempt baking these... then i realized i don't actually have any of the supplies or ingredients and it'd probably cost a lot to get said items. so to hell with it. i shall live vicariously through you. now, what can you do with peanut butter and chocolate?!?!

Angie said...

just when I was thinking of these - they appear - ta da! you da best. I needed this recipe! fanks.